Monday, August 15, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story

A great movie? Yes. A funny story? Not so much. While scrolling through movie choices, my family was looking for a light comedy to please everyone’s varying tastes, and after watching the laugh-out-loud preview set to upbeat music, we decided on It’s Kind of a Funny Story, starring Keir Gilchrist and Emma Roberts. The story follows Craig, a sixteen year old who checks himself into the mental ward of a hospital due to battling depression. Since the youth ward is under construction, he is placed with the adults, where he meets a variety of interesting characters, doctors and patients alike, who guide him along during his mandatory five-day visit. From the preview and title, I made the assumption that this movie would be comprised of some kooky patient jokes, a little bit of cheesy romance, and some predictable self-discovery. But in reality, this movie really had some dark and depressing undertones, as it covered topics like suicide, self-harm, and the hardships of mental illness. Oh yeah, and an impromptu musical number. Despite my surprise at the genre, the movie actually held up to my high standards, and is one the few movies in a long time that made me both smile and cry, and most importantly, left me feeling like I didn’t just waste two hours of my life. So I give this movie a four out five, because even though it featured some great acting, an honest and relatable script, and I most definitely recommend you see it, it really needs a new title.

No comments:

Post a Comment